Okuma introduced the Alijos series of reels in 2020, with first models arriving early March. This series replaces the Andros line, which were very capable reels. They became the casting/jigging version of Makaira series reels. Call them Makaira light, many similar features and benefits in a more compact, lighter bodied reel. The Alijos are lighter than a Mak, easier for most to cast, with a cast control operating mechanically thru the drag system rather than by way of magnetic system. The Alijos reels to not offer helical cut gears like the Andros and Makaira series, these make use of spur cut gears, simpler production, less concern about sideload pressure. The new Alijos series reels offer high drag capability, super freespool performance, housed in a strong machined aluminum body. Okuma makes use of their dual force drag system, smoothness of operation is ensured throughout the drag’s range. For the Alijos series, Okuma made use of an extended handle arm with large T-Bar type handle for optimum power. CRC (corrosion resistant coating) helps minimize saltwater damage to the reel’s finish, and 6 HPB corrosion resistant bearings are used in this series of reels. The Alijos series carries a 3 year warranty, that’s 2 years beyond most manufacturers. That says something in and of itself.
Checking out the reels, it’s obvious that they spin well and that this manufacturer is listening to us astutely. Okuma again makes use of the TSI 301 bearing oil and Cal’s drag grease, for exceptional casting and smooth braking. Handling the reels, you quickly note that these are well designed for long term use in a harsh saltwater world. Note the drainage ports, 2 on the gear housing, three on the frame so you have nice drainage regardless of the reel’s orientation – whether on a rod or not. This may seem like a small thing, but it’s something so many manufacturers neglect. There are two narrow versions are offered, the little 5N and 12NS. There are two high speed models in the line for those working iron and jigs @ 6.4:1.
The 12 and 16 are also being produced in single speed. Both reels offer 6.4:1 gears, with a line retrieve rate of 48 and 58 inches per crank respectively.
- 17-4 grade stainless steel main and pinion gears
- Carbonite Dual Force Drag system with Cal’s drag grease
- 6-HPB corrosion resistant stainless steel bearings
- Spool bearings feature TSI-301 oil for unmatched freespool
- Rigid 1-pcs frame and left sideplate construction
- 6061-T6machined aluminum frame and sideplates
- Cold forged, Type-II anodized, machined aluminum spool
- Silent retrieve system for ultimate cranking smoothness
- 90mm handle arm, increases cranking leverage/power
- Oversized T-Bar handle on all models, for cranking power
- Lug and plug harness system featured on 12 and 16 sizes
- External adjustable cast control system on left sideplate
- CRC: Corrosion Resistant Coating process
- Alijos reels are backed by a 3-year limited warranty
|MODEL||BEARINGS||GEAR RATIO||LINE RETRIEVE||MAX DRAG FULL||MAX DRAG STRIKE||MONO-LINE CAPACITY|
|AJ-5II||6BB||6.4:1 & 3.8:1||42.1″ & 24.8″||24-LBS||15-LBS||620/12 (0.32), (430/15 (0.37), 340/20 (0.42)|
|AJ-5NII||6BB||6.4:1 & 3.8:1||42.1″ & 24.8″||24-LBS||15-LBS||420/12 (0.32), 300/15 (0.37), 250/20 (0.42)|
|AJ-12NSII||6BB||6.4:1 & 2.1:1||6.4:1 & 2.1:1||34-LBS||27-LBS||350/20 (0.42), 250/25 (0.48), 200/30 (0.55)|
|AJ-12II||6BB||4.7:1 & 2.1:1||35.4″ & 15.7″||34-LBS||27-LBS||560/20 (0.42), 420/25 (0.48), 320/30 (0.55)|
|AJ-12SII||6BB||6.4:1 & 2.1:1||48.4″ &15;.7″||34-LBS||27-LBS||560/20 (0.42), 420/25 (0.48), 320/30 (0.55)|
|AJ-16II||6BB||4.3:1 & 1.3:1||39.3″ & 11.9″||48-LBS||34-LBS||870/20 (0.42), 650/25 (0.48), 500/30 (0.55)|